April 5, 2009

ALL Rant, NO Rave

What is it with people who think they can rant in crowded public places and force people around them to hear their high-pitched monologues? I fail to understand where they come from, nor do I see any purpose or reason in their endeavor to vent out their pet peeves. Two such instances come to mind that have happened in the recent past – and one of them today, thereby, compelling me to write this note, err, rant!?


So im in this crowded streetcar headed towards the subway station at 8pm. An old couple hop in at one of the stops and the lady just wont stop thinking out loud as to why people wont move all the way down to the end of the streetcar. I understand that is an issue people using public transport often face but I also understand her saying it once out loud. But no, she repeated the same sentence over and over. And over. Till she made a remark that had absolutely no connection to people making room and being considerate on a crowded mode of transport. This is what she said and I quote, “I cant believe people wont move back. Why cant they listen to the driver who's saying please.” Then looking at a commuter seated, she says. “This city is not the same anymore. Its just not what it used to be - 75 years ago!” Now that is when, I, standing quite a few feet from her, actually turned around to look at her. 75 YEARS!!! Hell, ill bet u aint what u used to be 75 years ago!


what do u think she’s trying to insinuate here? Pointing out the complacent attitude of commuters is one thing. But, in the same breath, to add that the city aint the same since the time u were born is not exactly conveying your point. And as I stood there rolling my eyes in reaction to the old lady's comments and her ignorance, I remembered how, just 2 weeks ago, a much younger lady entered the bus and literally shouted at the top of her voice randomly asking what year we were in. A younger girl beside her, in disbelief and amazement, answered her question saying 2009. The lady then added saying she was shocked to know its 2009 and people are still wearing animal fur. She then starts to vent out her anger against people who wear winter coats with fur – fake or real - and then proceeds to single out 2 women on the bus with fur hoodies and yell out her displeasure at the comfort these women seek by wearing these coats. And she ranted and ranted and ranted till she switched to meat-eaters, and how people shouldn’t kill animals just for food. So the young girl who out of no choice is paying heed to the lady’s manic rants, while being helpless as to how to shut the lady up, agrees about the fur thing but goes on to add that she kills mosquitoes!!!! So, does that qualify as animal/insect cruelty? At least the young girl managed to shut her up for a second or two.


Going back to my point, I hate people who rant at the top of their voices expecting all and sundry to hear them whine. Go tell it to your friends. Or write it in a book, or a blog. But don’t expect to have heads turning, people’s views changing, or sympathizing, or even empathizing with you within the span of the 5 odd minutes u choose to rant in. Im guessing some of you sexists (or bordering on that) will point out how both are women, and that ranting comes easily. But let me tell you than men rant too. Right, Aaron? :P (one of my friends who's been ranting a lot off late.)


OK so I digress but people who rant in public should be made to shut up. Just like the herbivore/animal rights activist who was made to do so by the driver of the bus.


Or, May be, its time for me to by an iPod.

0 comments: